Sam recently entered his 23rd consecutive year of being able to dunk a basketball.
He also happens to be a Board Certified family lawyer with over 10 years’ experience.
Sam’s practice focuses on divorces for young(ish) professionals and business owners. Sam’s style tends to be deliberate and understated. He is a listener, and chooses his words intentionally.
Sam is an experienced litigator and mediator, with a deep understanding how divorce presents an intersection of psychological dynamics, logistical problems, and math—and how these themes are likely to play out over the course of negotiation and trial.
Sam grew up in Port Arthur, Texas and went to college at Trinity University in San Antonio. Sam has lived in Austin since 2002 when he began law school at the University of Texas.
Sam lives in Barton Hills with his wife Lauren (an integrative-health nurse practitioner), his daughter Hazel and son Harrison, and their faithful golden retriever, Bodhi.
In his young life, Sam was a bad trumpet player, a pretty decent basketball player, an enthusiastic country-western dancer, and a choir nerd. Contemporary Sam is a devoted husband, a struggling crossfitter, a fledgling wine collector, and a wrangler of a cute but unruly 3 year-old. When he’s not in the office, you might find Sam on an early morning family walk to a South Austin coffee shop, or sleeping.
Recent representative cases:
- Jury trial of a divorce with characterization and valuation issues pertaining to real estate in India.
- Settlement of a divorce with a $7MM+ estate including real estate in Texas, D.C., and Morocco.
- Jury trial successfully representing a father in preventing mother from moving away from Austin with the 2 year-old and 1 year-old children.
- Appeal regarding validity of a Mediated Settlement Agreement.
- Successful settlement of a child custody case for a father with severe but well-managed bipolar disorder.
- Settlement of a divorce with a $6MM+ estate with complex separate property, reimbursement, and valuation issues.
Honors & Affiliations
- Selected to the 2010, 2014, 2015 Texas Rising Stars list, Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business
- State Bar of Texas Family Law Section
- Texas Family Law Foundation
- Austin Bar Association: Family Law Section, Solo & Small Firm Section, Estate Planning & Probate Section, Civil Litigation Section, Entertainment & Sports Law Section
- Young Men’s Business League of Austin